Age Range: 14 years and up
CICADA Magazine is that smart, witty friend every creative teen deserves. Featuring exciting new works in fiction, poetry, and comics, plus interviews with the authors and illustrators who made it happen, CICADA breaks open the lit/art worlds for young adults who are making the leap into creative practice. Committed to publishing young writers and artists, CICADA is a place for teens to speak their truths.
In this issue, we explore The Deep—dark ocean trenches, the far reaches of outer space, and the hidden corners of the human heart.
Parents’ Choice Gold Award: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012
Parents’ Choice Recommended: 2010
For Teens and Young Adults Passionate about the Written Word
If you know teens who love to write, you need to introduce them to CICADA magazine. Each issue of CICADA contains exceptional stories and poetry written by and about teens. No other magazine dares to confront the joys, trials, and absurdities of being not a kid but not an adult yet either with the honesty and compassion of CICADA. Turn your creative teen on to the wonders of CICADA, the literary magazine for teens. Unlike most of your suggestions, your teen will be glad you did.
Free with each paid subscription to CICADA comes access to bonus content on the magazine’s companion Web site, www.cicadamag.com, the online home of CICADA. The site features The Slam, our award-winning online forum for microfiction and poetry. Designed for budding writers, www.cicadamag.com gives teens writing tips and submissions needs for CICADA and urges them to keep up with their writing practice, even when they may feel discouraged. To further encourage creative expression, the site showcases interviews with each issue’s Artist Allies.
Cicada Magazine is delivered 6 times per year by mail and digitally mail and features:
- 48 pages of advertising-free stories, comics, and poetry aimed specifically at teens and young adults who love to read and write.
- Features such as Artist Allies, which highlights a cutting-edge comic artist with an interview and one-page comic, the Best of the Slam, and an annual celebration of exciting poetry and fiction from our online writing forum.
- A Call for Creative Endeavors in each issue, which invites readers to submit poetry or artwork based around that issue’s theme, providing a much-needed venue where young writers can showcase their work and share it with others who love to read and write.
- Access to bonus content on the magazine’s companion website, The Slam, which offers a space to workshop poetry and microfiction, and connect with peers.
- Playful and irreverent articles such as “Monsters: They’re Just Like Us,” “Cicada Zine #3: Victorian Ghost Hunters,” and “How to Write an Essay That Will Not Get You into College.”